To celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the appearance of Our Lady in Fatima, we will be having a formal observance of the First Saturday Devotions, beginning Saturday, June 3, and ending Saturday October 7. We will continue to observe them, though less formally, from here on.
During her July 1917 apparition at Fatima, Our Lady said to Lucy, “I shall come to ask… that on the First Saturday of every month, Communions of reparation be made in atonement for the sins of the world.”
“Many consider the First Five Saturdays to be a forgotten part of the Fatima message, and very few people observe them,” said EWTN Chaplain Father Joseph Mary. “This is to help inspire people to observe the five first Saturdays.”
“This devotion has four parts – all four should be made in a spirit of reparation for blasphemy and ingratitude and for peace in the world,” Fr. Joseph continued.
- First, one should go to confession, generally eight days before or after the First Saturday of the month
- Second, one should receive Holy Communion on the First Saturday of the month
- Third, recite five decades of the Rosary
- Fourth, meditate for 15 minutes on the mysteries of the Holy Rosary
There are great benefits for those who comply with this request. Our Lady told Sister Lucia she would “assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation, all those who on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months confess, receive Holy Communion, pray a rosary, and keep me company for a quarter of an hour meditating on the 15 mysteries with the intention of offering reparation.”
Many ask why Our Lady asked her children to observe FIVE first Saturdays. Our Lady told Sister Lucia the five Saturdays are to make reparation for the five kinds of offenses and blasphemies uttered against her Immaculate Heart.
The offenses are
- against her Immaculate Conception
- against her virginity
- against her Divine maternity
- by those who openly seek to foster in the hearts of children indifference, or even hatred, for this Immaculate Mother
- by those who directly outrage her holy images