It’s time for a few updates.
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
St. Jane is hosting the Deanery Meeting for the West St. Tammany Deanery this morning. Archbishop Aymond will be present to address the priests and deacons of the Deanery.
Our St. Joseph Altar is being prepared all day today.
7:00PM – Mass for the Solemnity of St. Joseph, St. Jane Church in Abita Springs.
7:45PM – Blessing of the St. Joseph Altar
Thursday, March 19, 2015
8:00AM – Mass for the Solemnity of St. Joseph
Noon – 5:00PM – St. Joseph Altar open to the public, food will be served until it runs out, or until 5PM whichever comes first.
Friday, March 20, 2015
8:00AM – Daily Mass
11:00AM – Funeral for Fr. JP Grenham, former Associate Pastor, in Pointe a la Hache, LA.
5:00-8:00PM – Fish Fry!
7:00PM Stations of the Cross
Saturday, March 21, 2015
8:00AM – Daily Mass
8:30 – 1:00 PM – Pastoral Council Training at Arch. NS Pastoral Center
12 Noon – Recitation of the Holy Rosary, Public Rosary Crusade, with Procession, in front of St. Joseph Hall.
As you know, we have a wonderful altar dedicated to St. Joseph every year on his Feast, which is March 19.
It’s coming up fast!
Sign up sheets are in both Churches if you plan on bringing a dish (or several) to help feed those who show up, and to help provide funds to help the poor through our St. Vincent de Paul Society.
See you there!
Our Lenten Picnic scheduled for today has been cancelled due to the weather forecasts for today.
Monday Tuesday and Wednesday
Archbishop Alfred Hughes
of this week we will be having a Lenten Mission
, with Archbishop Alfred Hughes leading us.
Mission Schedule – 6:30-7:30pm, Monday – Wednesday
- Monday – Holy Hour with Mission Talk: The Difference God’s Word Makes
- Tuesday – Confessions with Penance Service: The Difference our Repentance and God’s Forgiveness Make
- The Holy Mass: The Difference the Eucharist Makes
Archbishop Hughes was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Boston in 1957. After serving in two parishes, he secured a doctorate in Spiritual Theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome.
He then served sequentially as professor, spiritual director and rector of St John’s Seminary, Boston.
Pope John Paul II appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Boston in 1981; Bishop of Baton Rouge in 1993; Archbishop of New Orleans in 2002.
Since retirement in 2009, Archbishop Hughes has served as Adjunct Professor and Adjunct Spiritual Director in residence. He has published four books, numerous articles and talks.
When and Where?
All evenings begin at 6:30pm, in St. Jane Church in Abita Springs.
If it’s Lent, then it’s time for the Friday night Fish Fries!
It’s a time of community and shared penance for everyone!
Dinner is served from 5:00pm until 8:00pm, and the price is a bargain at $8.00 a plate.
Stations of the Cross
Stations of the Cross are at 7:00pm in St. Jane Church.
Archbishop Hughes will be preaching at all Masses this weekend. He will also be conducting our Lenten Mission next week on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 6:30pm each night.
- Monday night will be a Holy Hour, with a reflection on the Eucharist.
- Tuesday Evening will be a Penitential Service with opportunities for the Sacrament of Confession.
- Wednesday Evening will be a Mass, celebrated by Archbishop Hughes.
We have a Parish Lenten Picnic scheduled for March 8 in Abita Park. We’re blessed to be able to experience the beauty of our long spring seasons during Lent, and have decided to take advantage of the moderate weather in March for a Lenten Picnic. Dinner and drinks will be provided, as will coffee and desserts. Just bring a side dish if you are able.
Our Masses on Ash Wednesday will be at 8AM and at 7PM. We will also have a service at Noon if anyone wishes to receive ashes but is not able to attend Mass.
Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent, yet is not a Holy Day of Obligation.
Confessions will be from 6-6:50pm Wednesday evening.
As mentioned before, Family Promise will soon be opening doors in St. Jane Parish.
Family Promise will provide ways for us to work together to help homeless families. We will provide overnight lodging and meals for three to five families (up to 14 persons) for one week each, two or three times per year.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of Family Promise and there are many ways that you can help. Whether you provide part of a hot meal, arrange activities for children, or stay overnight, you can make a difference in the lives of families who have lost their home and are on the road to regaining independence. St. Jane de Chantal is proud and excited to be a part of this opportunity to live out the corporal and spiritual works of mercy in a practical and life-affirming way.
Monday, February 9th at 6:30 – St. Joseph Hall
We encourage everyone interested in participating in St. Jane Family Promise to make every effort to attend this meeting. We will be presenting volunteer opportunities and identifying who will need Safe Environment Training and Background Checks.
We will have 4 main teams: Fellowship, Innkeepers, Meals, and Laundry / Housekeeping.
- The Fellowship Team will be responsible for evening fellowship. (7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- The Innkeeper Team will stay overnight and help serve breakfast in the morning. Innkeepers may leave after the Family Promise van has picked up the guest families. (8:30 PM – 6:00 AM)
- The Laundry/Housekeeping Team will divide the linens after the families leave, wash them, and return them to St. Jane. They will set up and take down the guests beds. They may also be called upon to assist with setting up dining tables in the Barre kitchen prior to the guests arrival and taking them down once the week is over.
– Laundry Volunteer – Wash Linens
– Sunday Afternoon Volunteer (4:00 PM – 6:00 PM)
– Sunday Morning Volunteer (7:00 AM)
- The Meals Team will be responsible for providing meals: Breakfast and Dinner. Meals can be broken down into entrees, sides, drinks, and dessert and may be provided by two or more persons or a specific ministry / group.
– Breakfast Volunteer (6:00 AM – 7:00 AM)
– Evening Meal Volunteer (5:30 PM – 7:00 PM)
– Donate Food / Desserts
Click here to sign up for more information.
We’re having a Parish Picnic on Sunday, March 8. We were aiming for Laetare Sunday on March 15th, however Abita Park is all booked on that day. Nonetheless, an early spring afternoon’s gathering of spirits and hearts, for fellowship, is always a good idea.
The dates for Family Promise have been finalized! St. Jane Parish is hosting the weeks of May 17-23, and then again on August 30-September 5. We’ll be having more information as we can. There is an informational meeting on the evening of February 9, at 6:30pm.
Fr. Kevin’s Bible Study still has a few more weeks to go, and newcomers are always welcome. Bring your Bible’s Wednesday evenings at 7PM in St. Jane Church for a study of the Mass in Sacred Scripture.
That’s it for now. As always, stay tuned…